Our sorority has a "Fraternity of the Month" where we honor the guys that have done an activity or had a mixer with us or just have been really nice to our girls. So each month after we vote, I bust out the bakeware to make some yummy treats. This month we are honoring ATO because we have a mixer with them this Wednesday. These guy are super nice and are truly fun to hang out with. Immediately when I found out that we were baking for them, rum cake was the first thing that came to mind!
I thought I would share my recipe with yall. It is in the oven as I am sitting here; and literally, I cannot wait to have a bite!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 3.5 oz package of instant vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dark rum**
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional... since this is going to the boys, I am not spending $7 on nuts!)
- Preheat oven to 325 degress.
- Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan or Bundt pan.
- Sprinkle nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.
- Combine all of the above ingredients (except nuts) and blend until well incorporated. Place in the pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and allow to cool in the pan.
- Invert onto plane and prick the top of the cake with a skewer.
- Drizzle and smooth glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze and repeat until glaze is all used up.
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in water and sugar.
- Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in rum.