Monday, February 16, 2009

mmmm... Rum Cake!


Our sorority has a "Fraternity of the Month" where we honor the guys that have done an activity or had a mixer with us or just have been really nice to our girls. So each month after we vote, I bust out the bakeware to make some yummy treats. This month we are honoring ATO because we have a mixer with them this Wednesday. These guy are super nice and are truly fun to hang out with. Immediately when I found out that we were baking for them, rum cake was the first thing that came to mind!

I thought I would share my recipe with yall. It is in the oven as I am sitting here; and literally, I cannot wait to have a bite!


Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 3.5 oz package of instant vanilla pudding
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup dark rum**
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 cup chopped pecans (optional... since this is going to the boys, I am not spending $7 on nuts!)
**NOTE: Use a decent dark rum!! You will be able to tell the difference between the cheap stuff and the real stuff.

Cake Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degress.
  2. Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan or Bundt pan.
  3. Sprinkle nuts evenly over the bottom of the pan.
  4. Combine all of the above ingredients (except nuts) and blend until well incorporated. Place in the pan.
  5. Bake for 1 hour and allow to cool in the pan.
  6. Invert onto plane and prick the top of the cake with a skewer.
  7. Drizzle and smooth glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze and repeat until glaze is all used up.

Glaze Ingredients:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark rum
Glaze Directions:
  1. Melt butter in saucepan.
  2. Stir in water and sugar.
  3. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in rum.

3 comments:

DietCokeStraightUp said...

Um...YUM!!! This sounds and looks amazing! I bet the boys will love it!

Sweet, Sassy, Southern and Classy said...

Oh my gosh, that looks DELICIOUS! Those are going to be some very very happy fraternity boys, that's for sure! Thanks for the recipe! I always love trying new things.

theluckiestmrs said...

This looks wonderfu!! I've got to try your recipe!